True Confessions from the First Day of Back to School

So today was my first day back for the second time at my "new" school, and I find myself so unbelievably excited, humbled, grateful, and blessed to be part of such an amazing school family. Last night for the first time in I don't know how many years I felt absolutely no desire to prolong summer and delay the start of school. Maybe that makes me a crazy person instead of a normal teacher, but I am totally amazed at how at peace I am about heading into another school year (maybe even more unbelievable considering that not only am I going back to work, but my one and only baby is beginning kindergarten this year).

Now you're probably thinking...big deal, so she's ready so go back, so what? Well, if you don't know me personally, then you don't know that a year ago I resigned from a district, school, and team that I loved and accepted a new position in the district that I lived in to work closer to home. Was making the change easy? No. Was it the right decision? Absolutely! There were many times last year when I felt like a brand new teacher and questioned my decision to move, but the bottom line was that I needed a change. WOW, did I need a change, and I can see that so clearly now. Moving grade levels and districts forced me to reevaluate all the trainings and resources I've had, the decisions I make as a teacher on a daily basis, and the techniques I choose to manage my classroom and instruction. I've relearned to trust my professional judgement and have awakened an energy and creativity in myself that I haven't felt in years.

So this morning heading back to my "new" school I thought back to a year ago when I first joined this staff, to a year spent feeling slightly displaced, and ahead to the upcoming year. Then during our initial staff meeting I found myself looking around at all the faces of colleagues who I now call friends, who I can't wait to continue to get to know better both personally and professionally, and who I admire as an amazing group of individuals who want to do what's best for our kids, bottom line. And what amazes me most is that I feel so assured that this is without a doubt where I am intended to be right now.

No comments

Back to Top